Information And Communication Technology (ICT) Centre
Information And Communication Technology (ICT) Centre is entrusted with all computerisation activities of the Police department. It is directly under the supervision of Addl Director General of Police, State Crime Records Bureau. The unit is headed by Superintendent of Police, Information and Communication Technology (ICT). The functions of the Information and Communication Technology (ICT) wing can be enumerated as follows:
- To undertake expansion of process of computerization to different areas of Police Work
- Maintain and set out modernization requirements for the existing infrastructure at Police Computer Centre, DCRBx and other units. Identify training requirements and impart computer training.
- Study new technologies in ICT for adopting it in Police Computerisation Scheme
- To liaise with NCRB, MHA, Govt of India and other State counter-parts in implementing systems developed commonly for all states as part of standardization of police work (CCTNS etc. )
The unit began as Police Computer Centre . It was set up in the year 1972 with second generation computers available at that time. The old computer TDC systems established at that time was later handed over to the Science and Technology Museum as a precious old device. It started functioning as an independent unit under the direct supervision of Police Headquarters till 1989. SCRB was formed vide Govt. Order (MS)/69/89/HOME dated 8th May 1989 by bringing together the units such as Police Computer Centre, Crime Intelligence Bureau & Statistical wing from CBCID and also units like Finger print Bureau, Photographic Bureau and Police Press. Later, the name of the unit was changed to Information and Communication technology Wing (ICT).
Achievements of the Information and Communication technology Wing (ICT).
- Got commendation letter from the State Police Chief for the development and implementation of Sabarimala virtual Q system.
- Got appreciation letter from Travancore Devaswom Board for the innovative work related to Virtual Q System.
- Sabarimala Virtual Q system of was given special award of the Honb’le Chief Minister of Kerala for the best innovation innovativation in Public Service Delivery Category in 2011.