The Mounted Police
The Mounted Police Unit, a symbol of Majesty of Kerala Police is housed in 1.14 acres of Government land at Kennettumukku, Thycaud, Thiruvananthapuram District, only one of its kind in entire Kerala Police. The beginning of Mounted Police Unit in the State can be traced back to 1880, His Highness the Maharaja of Travancore paved the way and known as “The Rajapramukhas Body Guards” till the Independence of the nation from the British rule. Later the unit was named as “Palace Guard” which was situated in the Body Guard Square, Palayam.
The Present Mounted Police Unit was established in the year 1961 vide G.O (MS) 508/Home Dated 14/11/1961 and continued at Cantonment Camp (Body Guard Square). Palayam till 1981.Consequent to the construction of the Assembly Complex at Palayam, the unit was shifted to the present premises. There are 28 stables in Mounted Police Unit (including 3 sick horses’ stables). The Sanctioned Strength of Horses is 25 and the present strength is 25. The Reserve Inspector, Mounted Police Unit is the Controlling Officer under the Administrative Control of the District Police Chief, Thiruvananthapuram city. A veterinary Hospital with a Veterinary Assistant Director and a Livestock Inspector for health care of the horses of this unit.
Republic day parade, Independence Day Parade, Processions of Government, Law and order duties like Night Patrol duty,Morning and Evening Patrol duties etc are the main duties of this unit. Ceremonial parades in important social and religious functions such as Arat at Sree Padbhanabha Swami temple, Navarathri Festival processions etc make the unit dear to the public.