'Punyam Poonkavanam', the clean drive initiative of the Kerala Police in Sabarimala, spreads the message of a plastic-free Sabarimala. The volunteers on Wednesday have made this message spread among the devotees coming from other states. The plastic in the irumudikettu is littered in the premises and this has become a menace to control for the volunteers. Punyam Poonkavan wants the devotees to take back the plastic wastes back to their homes and destroy it. From the next pilgrimage season onward, stop bringing plastic in irumudikettu. They also should spread the message of not bring plastic materials in irumudikeettu among their villagers. Kerala Police's 'Punyam Poonkavanam' gives a strong message that pilgrims should not leave the plastic in the sacred garden of Lord Ayyappa. The Kerala police distributed pamphlets among the devotees with messages giving them awareness about the harm of bringing plastic to Sabarimala. The pamphlets also want devotees from throwing their clothes in the holy river Pamba. 'Punyam Poonkavanam' has set up 24-hour offices in Sannidhanam and Pampa to provide awareness and cleanliness. Rapid Action Force, NDRF, Kerala Police, Ayyappa Seva Sanghom, Ayyappa Seva Samajam, and pilgrims take part in the cleaning drive DECEMBER 04 2019 every morning and evening. Banners, Posters, Notices, Brochures, and Announcements convey the message of the 'Punya Poonkavanam'.
Punyam Poonkavanam Kendras (PPKs) are meant to coordinate the implementation of Punyam Poonkavanam project and to spread the awareness about it to maximum people through effective dissemination. The ultimate aim is to promote the culture of Responsible and Conscious Pilgrimage to all centres of worship, and not just Sabarmala. To start with, the focus will be based on Sabarimala pilgrimage.
In long run, the same will be extended to all possible places of worships and promote eco-sensitive pilgrimage across the nation.
The designated assignment of Punyam Poonkavanam Kendras are as given below.
-     Organise voluntary clearning work in temples and premises once in a week.
-     Made devotees aware about the rituals to be maintained inside the temple and to discourage superstitions.
-   Promote the message of &lsquoCleanliness is next to Godliness&rsquo through eminent religious leaders and other prominent social leaders.
-    Make pilgrims aware about prime aim of Sabarimala pilgrimage and about the rituals to be maintained during the period of penance.
-   Encourage devotees to avoid harmful objects, like plastic, while packing the Irumudi bundle ahead of pilgrimage.
-    Organise lectures on Saptha Karma at Sannidhanam by engaging Guruswamis.
-     Encourage Ayyappas to take up cleaning campaigns at Sannidhanam and neighbouring Erumeli, Pampa and Nilakkal.
-     Provide information to Ayyappas like timing of temple opening and closing, status of queue, details of offerings, accommodation facilities as well as the services made available by Police, Devaswom, Health, Fire & Rescue Services and also that by voluntary organisations like AyyappaSevaSangham.
-     Honour temple artistes and support temple-based traditional arts that are facing crisis due to lack of patronage.
- Support fitness regimes like Yoga.
-  Spread awareness about Covid protocol measure like proper use of mask, social distancing and personal hygiene.
-  Promote Panchaseelams among devotees.
While 'Saptha Karma' is the list of activities to be implemented at temple premises and during pilgrimage period, PanchaSeelams are the habitual changes to be implemented in personal life.
-     Maintain personal hygiene and general cleanliness
-    Conserve rivers and other water resources
-    Conserve groves and other forests
-    Revive health of soil by reducing use of plastic
-     Revive air quality by reducing sound and substance pollution
ADMINISTRATIVE STRUCTURE OF PUNYAM POONKAVANAM KENDRAS
-     Every Punyam Poonkavanam Centre will be comprised of a 5-member Executive Committee. The head priest and two members of the local temple committee will be office bearers in the Kendra and one senior Guruswamior a prominent social figure from the region will be a member. All devotees will be general body members.
-     Temple Commmittee president will be President of the Punyam Poonkavanam Kendra and Head Priest will be the Patron of the Kendra.
-     The objective of Punyam Poonkavanam Project as well as 'Sapta Karmas' and 'Panchaseelams' should be prominently displayed (without using plastic or flex boards) in temple premises.
-    The Annual General Body should be convened once in every six months.
-     This should be organised before November 10 every year without fail.
- l    Respective District Committees will review the operations of each Punyam Poonkavanam Kendra.
-    Executive meeting of Punyam Poonkavanam Kendras will be held once in a month, which will evaluate the activities implemented till then and minutes of the meeting will be forwarded to District Committee and Central Committee.