Sabarimala Pilgrim Management System- PMS
A single online portal Sabarimala Pilgrim Management System (PMS) has been developed, wherein services offered by Kerala Police, Travancore Dewaswaom Board (TDB) are collated and are easily accessible to the devotees. Pilgrims can book darshan slots weeks in advance through PMS. The devotees have an option of pre-booking Travancore Devaswom Board (TDB) services like Aravana, Appam and other prasadams through the portal.
The devotees have 2 queue options viz., Virtual Q and Swamy Q. The Virtual Q, is a limited subscription, first cum first serve basis service, wherein a devotee has a quicker access to Sannidhanam. Other option is Swamy Q, wherein the devotee proceeds through to Sannidhanam via the traditional Sharamkuthy route. In order to avail these services, the devotees have to register themselves at the online portal, sabarimalaonline.org, by furnishing personal information which include their name, age address, contact number, e-mail id, photograph, details of a photo identity card. The date and time of entering the darshan queue can be chosen by the pilgrim subject to availability of slots. After successful completion of booking, an automated SMS and e-mail are generated and sent to the person who makes the registration. The devotees are then mandated to download and/or print their barcoded e-tickets mentioning the date and time slot of Ayyappa darshan. On embarking on the pilgrimage, devotees are to carry the e-tickets (either as a download on the smartphone or as print out) and the photo identity card used for registration. Options for group booking are also provided at the portal. The Virtual Q and Swamy Q services are complimentary and are provided free of cost for the ayyappa devotees. Devotees who have booked Virtual Q service, should produce the e-ticket and photo identification card used for registration, at Verification Counter at Pampa. They will be provided with specific VQ entry cards which will permit them access to Virtual Q at Marakoottam. The Queue services are provided free of cost to devotees.
Sabarimala pilgrimage (Mandala Pooja / Makaravillku) constitutes the "Second" largest religious congregations in Asia. Sabarimala Virtual Queue system is a Kerala police initiative for streamlining the crowd at Sabarimala. Since the past 8 years, towards incorporating order and lessening the woes of thousands of devotees coming in for annual Sabarimala pilgrimage during 'Mandalapooja' and 'Makaravilakku'. Kerala Police has started Virtual Queue System wherein devotees are able to reserve their date and time of arrival for Darshan at Sabarimala, well in advance, based on availability. For this purpose the Kerala Police had designed and developed a web portal (www.sabarimalaq.com) in cloud environment. This Portal enables pilgrims to reserve their place in the Queue at a specified hour on any day in advance on a “First Come, First Serve” and at free of cost.
Outcome of the project
- Pilgrims were able to determine their preference for darshan and accordingly obtain a place in the Virtual Queue for darshan.
- Uncertainty for the pilgrims for darshan at Sabarimala removed.
- Able to streamline the crowd at Sabarimala using this preferential system.
- Average time taken to reach Sannidhanam from Pampa through normal queue in 2010-11 festival season was 4hrs 28 minutes. After the successful implementation of Virtual Queue System, it was reduced to 2 hrs 41 minutes.
- The Sabarimala Virtual Queue system has received appreciation from various corners like public, dailies, visual media, online publications, etc.
- This project, during the season 2010-11 won Kerala State Chief Minister's Award for Innovation in Public Policy under Public Service Delivery category
- This project, during the season 2018-19 won Skotch Award (highest civilian honour in the country conferred by an independent organisation)