Crime and Criminal Tracking Network & Systems (CCTNS)
CCTNS is a Mission Mode Project (MMP) under the National e-Governance Plan of Govt. of India. CCTNS aims at creating a comprehensive and integrated system for enhancing the efficiency and effectiveness of policing through adopting of principle of e-Governance and creation of a nationwide networking infrastructure for evolution of IT-enabled-state-of-the-art tracking system around 'Investigation of Crimes and Detection of Criminals'. It will not only automate Police functions at Police station and higher levels but will also create facilities and mechanism to provide public services like registration of online complaints, ascertaining the status of case registered at the police station, verification of persons etc. An allocation of Rs. 2000 crores has been made for CCTNS Project. Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) has approved the project on 19.06.2009.
CCTNS In National Level
The Police Stations in the Country are, today, virtually unconnected islands in the case of Crime & Criminal Tracking. There is no system of effective data storage, data sharing and accessing data. To mitigate this deficiency, the Ministry of Home Affairs had earlier initiated the Computerization of Police Stations through projects like CIPA (Common Integrated Police Application) and CCIS (Crime Criminal Information system). But these are standalone systems and Police Stations across the country function as isolated islands. There is no single system under which one Police unit can talk to another directly. Realizing the gross deficiency in connectivity, the Central Government is implementing an ambitious scheme called "Crime & Criminal Tracking Network and System (CCTNS)".
This system has been designed to automate the functioning of Police stations as much as possible. The automation of the regular functioning of police will leave the police personnel with more time to take care of law and order and investigation work.
The main aim of CCTNS project is to create an IT enabled system which will enable one police station to talk to another directly. The records of crimes and criminals available at one police station will be accessible to any other police office. The goals of the system are to facilitate collection, storage, retrieval, analysis, transfer and sharing of data and information at the police station and between the police station and the State Headquarters and the Central Police Organizations. National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB) is the central nodal agency that would manage CCTNS, which would be implemented nation-wide.
CCTNS In Kerala
Kerala has been selected as a pilot state by NCRB for the implementation of CCTNS project. State Crime Records Bureau (SCRB) is the state nodal agency responsible for implementing the project. Tata Consultancy Services Ltd (TCS) has been selected as the System Integrator (SI) for implementing the Project. Accenture Services Pvt Ltd was selected as the State Project Monitoring Unit (SPMU)for monitoring the implementation of CCTNS in the state.
Scope of the Project
Scope of the project within the state of Kerala is as follows
|Offices||Number Of Offices|
|Subdivisional Police Offices||66|
|District Police Offices||20|
Other Higher Police Offices
(PHQ, SCRB,Range, Zone & CBCID HQ)
|Police Control Rooms||20|
|Forensic Science and
Finger Print Bureau
Advantages For Citizens
- Multiple channels to access services from Police.
- Simplified process for registering and tracking incidents, petitions and FIRs.
- Simplified process for accessing general services such as requests for certificates, verifications, and permissions.
- Simplified process for registering grievances against Police.
- Simplified process for tracking the progress of the case during trials.
- Simplified access to view/report unclaimed/recovered vehicles and property.
- Improved relationship management for victims and witnesses.
- Faster and assured response from Police to any emergency calls for assistance.
Advantages For Law Enforcement
- Enhanced tools for investigation.
- Centralized crime and criminal information repository along with the criminal images and fingerprints with advanced search capabilities.
- Enhanced ability to analyze crime patterns, modus operandi.
- Enhanced ability to analyze accidents and other road incidents.
- Faster turnaround time for the analysis results (crime and traffic) to reach the officers on the field.
- Reduced workload of the Police station back-office activities such as preparation of regular and ad-hoc reports and station records management.
- Enhanced tools to optimize resource allocation for patrols, emergency response, petition enquiries, and other general duties.
- A collaborative knowledge-oriented environment where knowledge is shared across the different regions and units.
- Better coordination and communication with external stakeholders through implementation of electronic information exchange systems.
Advantages For Other Departments
- Time bound disposal of Police clearance, NOCs, verification reports etc
- Better coordination through web based interface
Implementing Agencies At National level
CCTNS is a project owned by the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA), and executed by National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB). The Central Project Monitoring Unit (CPMU) monitors the planning and implementation of the CCTNS project at the central level. Price waterhouse Coopers Pvt Ltd (PwC) is the CPMU at the Centre level. Wipro has been the designated as the Software Development Agency (SDA) will develop the application at the centre level.
Implementing Agencies In Kerala
State Crime Records Bureau (SCRB) is the State Nodal Agency and Additional Director General of Police,SCRB is the State Nodal Officer for the implementation of CCTNS Project in Kerala.
Accenture Services Pvt Ltd has been selected as the State Project Monitoring Unit (SPMU)
- To monitor the work of System Integrator
- Coordination of CCTNS activities within the state and with the centre.
- Provide suggestion /recommendations /guidelines /directions to the System Integrator in co-ordination with NCRB for proper implementation of CCTNS
- Advice State Police on CCTNS implementation
- Service of SPMU is for 3 years
- Total Contract amount is Rs 4, 00, 81,895.
Tata Consultancy Services Ltd (TCS) has been selected as the System Integrator (SI).
- SI (TCS) is the implementing agency in Kerala. Total Contract amount is Rs. 4670.43 lakhs.
- Hardware delivery and deployment of the same across all identified locations.
- Data digitization of cases of past 10 years
- Customization of CCTNS to suit requirements of Kerala Police
- Setting up of Servers in Data Centre and Disaster Recovery Centre
- Setting up of Networking in all police stations and higher offices with KSWAN and BSNL connections.
- Training of police personnel on CCTNS application.
Governance Committees on CCTNS projectState Apex Committee
- Headed by the Chief Secretary, Government of Kerala
- Headed by the State Police Chief
- Headed by the ADGP, SCRB & Nodal Officer CCTNS, Kerala
- State Technical Infrastructure Committee (STIC)
- Headed by the District Police Chiefs
- District Core Team
- District Technical Infrastructure Committee (DTIC)
Present Status of CCTNS Project in Kerala
|4||Data Centre (DC) setup||Completed at State Data Center (DC) at Tvm|
|5||Disaster Recovery (DR)||Completed and replication enabled at NIC, Delhi.|
|6||GD/FIR Live in Sites||Completed|
|7||FIR Publish||FIRs being published in the Website.|
|8||IIF & other forms||IIF 2- 11 and all other forms have been started|
|9||Citizen Portal||9 services available through THUNA|
|10||Citizen Services||Citizen Service module started|
|11||Role Based Training||Completed|
|17||Help Desk||4 resource personnel working in 24*7 shift|